A renowned “boater’s paradise,” the Abacos is a 120-mile island chain situated southeast of Florida in the Caribbean. Its unspoilt beauty was disrupted in September 2019 when Hurricane Dorian, a Category 5 storm, battered the islands. Now, the Abacos is back and inviting travellers back to cruise its pristine, crystal-clear waters.
You will find restaurants, bars and many activities open for business and abiding by COVID-19 guidelines. The Moorings returns to the Abacos in August 2022, welcoming you back to a new resort in the same world-famous cruising area.
What to Expect Now
Here’s what you can expect when cruising in the Abacos:
- You’ll start off flying in Marsh Harbour and The Moorings’ new base, the Abacos Beach Resort, which features 200 boat slips and all the amenities you would expect.
- As a nation, the Bahamas depends on tourism and accounts for half of the country’s GDP. Your return is key to its continued recovery.
- Better infrastructure, including docks and structures designed to withstand high winds.
- Airlines, like Delta, returning to the area with many direct flights out of Miami, Florida.
- Plenty of provisioning, dining and shopping options near the resort.
- Sailing conditions remain the same as before with winds around 5-10 knots. Abacos is a Level 2 sailing destination. Complete a sailing CV to see if you qualify to sail here.
Despite the ongoing construction and recovery efforts, there is still so much to see and do whilst on your sailing holiday in Abacos. Discover what the Abacos has to offer now on a sailing holiday with The Moorings.
View the entry protocols to the Bahamas here, and we advise that you check with your airline on COVID-19 restrictions too.
Step Aboard Here
Start your experience with The Moorings on land and sign up to receive e-mails from us about yachts, offers and destinations.