As you’re thinking about your next family holiday, you might be wanting to try something different, visit somewhere new, or find a vacation that has something for everyone. If that’s the case, let us introduce you to family sailing holidays.
The perfect blend of adventurous and relaxing, a family sailing vacation will create magical memories to last a lifetime as you take to the open waters. Whether you choose to island hop around the Caribbean or explore the ancient ruins of Greece, sailing holidays have endless opportunities for fun and exploration!
If you haven’t embarked on an exhilarating yacht charter vacation before, you might not know where to start. This is where we come in! At The Moorings, we have over 50 years experience in providing world class sailing vacations for families, couples and groups. To help you understand more about sailing holidays for families, we’ve created this guide, where you’ll find out everything you need to know, from the best destinations for family sailing holidays to the all important safety questions.
Let’s get started…
Why should you book a family sailing vacation?
If you haven’t experienced the true beauty of a sailing vacation before, you might be left wondering why you should book one over any other type of vacation. Here are our top 10 reasons why you should book a sailing charter for your next family vacation:
- A sailing charter vacation offers you a completely unique experience to enjoy life on the water and travel around to different islands rather than staying in one place.
- You’ll enjoy the perfect blend of relaxation and exhilaration, depending on your itinerary which is ideal if you want to rest as well as explore your chosen destination.
- You have complete control and freedom on a family sailing vacation. You choose your charter type, yacht and itinerary which means you will have an entirely bespoke holiday that all the family will love!
- If you’re looking for a stress-free, easy vacation where you can sit back and spend quality time with your family, skippered and crewed charters offer exactly this.
- A family sailing holiday gives you the chance to try something new, whether that’s visiting Corfu for the first time, going to a new beach in the British Virgin Islands or trying a bareboat yacht charter.
- Are you and your family history lovers? On a family sailing vacation, you’ll travel to new countries, islands, cities and towns, learning all about their vibrant histories and cultures.
- If you love beautiful weather, sunny skies, warm waters, and plenty of sunbathing opportunities, a yacht charter is ideal. Whether you sail around the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Americas or Exotics, you can soak up the sun on the deck of your catamaran while your children enjoy thrilling water sports.
- Are you a family of thrill seekers who are always looking for a new challenge? Learning to sail and taking the helm on your own yacht is about as adventurous as it gets!
- Family yacht charters offer the chance to try deliciously authentic cuisines from around the world. From world-class Greek dishes to stunning food from Italy, your family’s taste buds will be dancing.
- One of the biggest reasons to book a family sailing vacation is privacy. If you book a bareboat charter, it will just be you and your family aboard which means you have uninterrupted bonding time away from real-world distractions – sounds like paradise to us!
For more information, read our recent blog on reasons to consider a private yacht charter for your next vacation.
Best sailing holiday destinations for families
So, we’ve covered why you should book a family sailing holiday…let’s talk about where to sail around!
With so many sensational sailing destinations around the world, wherever you go we know you’ll have the best time. Choosing where to go on vacation is a deeply personal decision so it’s up to you where you want to take your family, however there are a few charter destinations that are renowned for being incredible family sailing spots:
These destinations are considered family-friendly for many reasons, namely that they’re all considered easy to navigate and sail around for beginners. This is ideal for your family if you’re new to sailing because you’ll feel confident and comfortable on the open waters. As you’ll most likely need to book your family sailing holiday during school vacation time, each of these beautiful locations are perfect during the Summer!
Greece is one of the most historically significant, interesting and stunning sailing destinations for families. Spend your days sailing around the numerous islands before mooring up in Athens and discovering ancient ruins, temples and other monuments. To learn about what you could get up to during a Greek yacht charter, take a look at our Corfu itineraries and Athens agendas.
A true gem of the Mediterranean, Croatia is the perfect destination to enjoy a fantastic family sailing vacation. Channel your inner explorers and discover Croatia’s secluded coves, hidden snorkeling spots and underwater caves. With some of the most beautiful diving spots in the world, if you’re a family of water lovers, Agana is a dream come true! For inspiration on things to do during your family yacht charter, check out our Croatia itineraries.
The British Virgin Islands are picture-perfect, offering some of the most stunning scenery and landscapes in the world. With 4 main islands to spend your days exploring, you’ll never be stuck for things to do. If your family has different interests, the BVI is the place to go as the opportunities for fun are endless. As part of your BVI itinerary, visit the iconic Baths on Virgin Gorda, spend the day sunbathing on the golden sands of Anegada’s beaches, or taste the delicious food of Anegada.
What happens on sailing holidays for families?
We’ve already discussed some of the incredible things you and your family can expect to get up to on a yacht charter, but we’ve barely touched the surface. The world is truly your oyster when you book a family sailing holiday, you can go exactly where you want, when you want!
Whether you create your own family sailing itinerary or follow one of our destination itineraries, we know you’ll find plenty of exciting things to do wherever you sail to. Some of the most popular things to do on a family sailing vacation include:
- Island hopping
- Relaxing on beautiful beaches that are only accessible by boat
- Enjoying fun water sports, from kayaking to surfing
- Discovering exotic marine life and hidden underwater caves when you go scuba diving or snorkeling
- Embracing the stunning landscapes of different islands and going hiking
- Immersing yourself into the local culture by experiencing delicious food and drink
- Visiting historical and cultural landmarks, such as ancient ruins, museums and galleries
Your itinerary is likely to change depending on the age and interests of your family members, for example, a family sailing holiday with a baby will look different to one with a teenager. Learn more by reading our recent blog on sailing with a baby.
Feel confident and safe taking the helm on a family sailing holiday
We understand that nothing is more important than the safety and welfare of your family, which is why choosing a vacation where you feel comfortable and secure is crucial.
You deserve to relax and enjoy a worry-free holiday, as do your whole family. You may be concerned about a family sailing holiday and safety precautions, especially if you’ve never been on one before, which is why we’re here to reassure you!
Before you’ve even stepped foot onboard a yacht, there are several requirements that must be met to ensure you are experienced enough to set sail on the open waters.
Requirements will vary depending on whether you’re booking a sailing charter or power charter. Every destination also differs when it comes to requirements. Some destinations don’t have specific requirements but your charter provider may have their own specifications. Take a look at the requirements for Croatia and Greece:
We also provide nets which can be added to your yacht making it much safer for kids to traverse the deck.
Not sure your skills are up to the job? Don’t worry, you can learn to sail with Offshore Sailing School, the official partner of The Moorings. Here, you’ll learn everything you need to take the seas by storm! When you book with The Moorings, you’ll also benefit from a safety briefing prior to your departure, with our expert base staff ensuring you feel comfortable and confident.
If you’re concerned about taking the helm on a bareboat family charter, consider hiring a skipper for all or part of your trip who can lead the way for you. Feeling extra fancy? Book a crewed yacht charter where a team of skippers, chefs and housekeepers join you aboard your yacht!
Family yacht charters
Sailing holidays for families are diverse in every aspect, from the amount of destinations available to the type of charter you book. There’s no right or wrong way to have a family sailing holiday, as long as you all have the best time possible! Whether you want a more relaxed skippered charter or a challenging bareboat charter, each type of yacht charter has its own benefits for families:
- Bareboat charter – If you’re looking for a thrilling new experience that will bring your whole family out of their comfort zone, a fun bareboat yacht charter is perfect for you. Take the helm and guide yourselves around beautiful islands and crystal-clear waters, enjoying the privacy that comes with having no one else on board!
- Skippered Charter – Do your family thrive with a balance of relaxation and adventure? Hire a skipper for part of your vacation and embrace the best of both worlds. Take the helm whenever you feel like it, and then play games up on deck with your family and leave your skipper to lead the way the rest of the time.
- Crewed charter – Treat your family to the ultimate VIP treatment with a crewed yacht charter. Your every need will be catered for, including cooking, cleaning and navigating the yacht which means all you need to do is chill out and spend much-deserved quality time with your family.
Whichever charter you decide on, your family will be talking about their sailing adventures for years to come.
Choose the best yacht for your family’s cruising adventure
As you prepare for a magical family sailing vacation, you’ll need to decide which type of yacht you want you and your family to set sail on. There are several different options you can choose from, each of which add comfort, style and safety to your charter. Booking your family sailing adventure with The Moorings means you get the choice of catamarans, monohulls and power yachts:
- Sailing Catamarans – Catamarans are modern, stylish and sleek so you’ll be earning extra cool parent points by booking one for your family. They’re incredibly spacious so you won’t feel like you’re living on top of each other, plus there’s lots of space up on deck to chill, socialize with each other and play games.
- Monohulls – Show your family a big part of sailing history by enjoying a yacht charter aboard a monohull. Classic, quintessential and a firm favorite of sailors throughout history, a monohull offers a look back through time, while also being modern and stylish!
- Power Catamaran – If you’re a family of thrill seekers looking for a fantastic Summer sailing vacation, consider booking a power yacht. Fast, powerful and technologically advanced, you’ll cruise through the waves like you own them.
Are you already picturing you and your family taking to the seas on a yacht charter this Summer? Book your idyllic family sailing vacation with The Moorings and benefit from over 50 years experience, expert skippers, state-of-the-art yachts, carefully curated itineraries, and extra amenities to make your trip even more special for you and your family. Get in touch with us today to discuss your family sailing holiday, we can’t wait to welcome you all aboard!
Step Aboard Here
Start your experience with The Moorings on land and sign up to receive e-mails from us about yachts, offers and destinations.